Since the publisher is the first credit on a submission
I wonder which is the proper way to enter companies, credits etc.

Recently I've submitted the first "Carlsen Studio" labeled hardcover album.
https://www.comicogs.com/comic/25306-Paris-Venedig
I decided to put "Carlsen Studio" as ANV for "Carlsen Verlag" into the publisher field.
All (or most of) "Carlsen Comics" releases just have this label as publisher.
On one u.s. release I saw the actual label was put into credits area as "imprint"
and another brand into the publisher field.

There seem to be a little confusion coming up about all these brands,
like for this one:
- Les Humanoïdes Associés S.A.S.
- Les Humanoïdes Associés S.A.
- Les Humanoïdes Associés
- Les Humanoides Associes, SAS
- Humanoides Associes
-_-
Do we just enter everything like it's printed on the specific imprint
or will there be a list of name variations and sublabels for every publisher?

About the titles I think it would be good to have more options, like a subtitle field.
On this one:
https://www.comicogs.com/comic/25278-Sandra-Bodyshelly
the title on spine, back cover and imprint is just "Sandra Bodyshelly";
on front cover and page 1 it's "Sandra Bodyshelly - Eine erotische Horror-Komödie".

Finally I took the time to enter the complete imprint information not only into the credits area,
but also type everything into the notes. ')

I just have this nice comic in my hand for instance:

Front cover:
Legend (brand) - Hellboy - Dark Horse Comics (brand) - 5 of 5 - Wake the Devil - A Tale of Weird Menace - by Mike Mignola + James Sinclair - also featuring - Silent as the Grave - A MonsterMen Mystery - by Gary Gianni
(from left to right; top to bottom)

Page 1:
Hellboy - 11 - Wake the Devil - ....credits....

Imprint on page 1:
Hellboy™: Wake the Devil #5(of 5), October 1996, Published by Dark Horse Comics, Inc. ....

Many submissions actually have the same information put into [title] and [series] / [issue]
For me a more logical way would be:
[Main series title] - [allover running number] - [title] - [subtitle] - [issue number] or [one shot] - [issue title] - [featured title] - [subtitle] - [issue number] or [one shot] ...

The result would be more clear:
Hellboy - 11 - Wake the Devil - A Tale of Weird Menace - 5 of 5 - also featuring - Silent as the Grave - A MonsterMen Mystery - one shot

To keep the publisher's brand in front of all would be maybe best:
Dark Horse Comics - Hellboy - 11 - Wake the Devil - A Tale of Weird Menace - 5 of 5 - also featuring - Silent as the Grave - A MonsterMen Mystery - one shot

These additional fields are also very important for comic-magazines!
Responds are appreciated, we will sure work it out.

I like the idea of keeping the submission itself as close to the publication in-hand, and utilize name variation features to keep the publisher's name variations tied together over time.

About title fields:
There have been some discussions in the forums about this already, with no strong consensus so far.

With your suggestion of 5 different data points for the 'name of the item', which of these would you think should be highlighted in search results and lists? Right now, it's [publisher] - [title].

On discogs it's clear:
[artist] - [title] if more than one release they all go into a master release

On bibliogs it's the same or will soon be equal:
[artist] - [title] >>> master

For comics it seems to be more difficult. Maybe different kind of submissions should be possible.
American monthly series fit good into the actual solution, but others?

In Europe it is not rare to have changing publishers for long running series.
For instance this is a german second edition from ehapa:
https://www.comicogs.com/comic/946-Das-Verschwundene-Meer
Later published again by Splitter, even the title changed!
https://www.splitter-verlag.de/storm-bd-1-die-tiefe-welt.html

For me this should be highlighted:
DON LAWRENCE - STORM - 01 - [title]
then all published versions in all the different languages should go into a master of course.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I had an interesting idea -- wondering what y'all think about it:

What if we scrapped the idea of including a credit value (publisher, artist, author, etc.) from the title display all together, and stuck with the title(s) of the work? That seems to make a lot of sense when we consider we want our indices to be globally friendly. We know fur sure that title(s) are universally needed to identify the work.

What do you think? Any holes in that idea?

for sure* ;D

sounds nice ^^
maybe the international english title should be the key to the master.

for Storm 1:
The Deep World (english title)
De Diepe Wereld (original dutch title)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_(Don_Lawrence)

This would make it much easier to find a master release.
Like let's say I have a german release of a japanese manga,
it would be very hard to find the original title...

Last weekend I discovered a little shop close to where I live. It's run by some young artists who live in the second room behind the showroom. That showroom is filled with only self made comics and prints produced by them and friends of them. It's also possible to take one or two home to read'em and bring those back later, for free! Amazing...

"maybe the international english title should be the key to the master."
Oh yeah, that's an interesting idea.

" It's also possible to take one or two home to read'em and bring those back later, for free!"
How cool. I wonder if they've ever lost a comic or two this way, though.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.