Do I understand it correctly, that issue refers to say monthly comics whereas Volume refers to TPBs combining various issues and/or stand alone books?

Yep! Volume numbers can also be on single issues when there is a new run of a series. So, you might see comics with both numbers, like this one: http://www.comicogs.com/comic/643-Time-Fugitives-Part-2 It just means that there was a first run (aka volume 1) of the series before this one.

aha, thanks.
So did I wrongly use Volume 1 on this and should rather use "Issue 1" instead?
http://www.comicogs.com/comic/683-Carbon
It's a trade paperback, 76 pages. There were no previous comic books. It is the first in a planned series of 3 or 4 TPBs.

Hmm, it's hard to tell, since the cover page is the only image available. If you check the footnotes (usually on the first page after the cover in tiny print), it might tell you if it's vol. # issue #. I have no idea if that helps, but let me know!

If you can add the first page after the cover to the submission, I can look and double-check!

A volume also represents a specific set of issues for a title.

For example, there have been several comic series entitled "Batman" published by DC Comics. The Volume represents which series with that title for an issue.

So, for example, the New 52 started Volume 2 of the series with the title "Batman". And after the Rebirth the new Batman title is Volume 3.

As mcpierce noted, Volume applies to the specific series, Volume on a TPB only applies to the order it was release, it's usually part of the title vs the specific series with the main title.

Example:
Title: Supergirl
Volume: 3
Issue: 6

Vs.
Title: Supergirl (Volume 1)
Volume: 3

The top one is the series number and issue.
The bottom is the TPB volume for the same series.

So on TPB/GNS/trades volume is the preferred way of numbering.
sorry for link and let me know if not cool, but say...
https://www.amazon.com/Walt-Skeezix-Book-Four-1927-1928/dp/1897299397/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504064094&sr=8-1&keywords=walt+%26+skeezix
should this be issue #4 or volume #4?

I'm pretty sure those are collected strips, making it Volume 4 in the parlance of Comicogs, though it's really just Book 4 in a Collected Series.

That also runs across time lines, the idea of a Comic Volume 4 (meaning the 4th run of a comic series, usually after a hiatus) didn't really appear until sometime during the Silver Age, possibly as late as the Bronze Age.

Yeah that was my confusion, used to "volume" you describe (and say how thinks are listed in Overstreet) more that I didn't want to screw up whatever system everybody has going here

Is there anything worth changing or adding to the submission form that would clarify that difference or help capture both? Maybe it's time to start adding comic specific submission guidelines to the Wiki?

There's collected/Trade Paper Back volume.
And Comic Volume.

Wonder Woman Volume 4 is the run of the comic from Nov. 2011 to the present.

The Collected works (Trade Paper Back) called Wonder Woman Volume 4: War is issues 19-23 of the Series: Volume 4.

The field "Volume" is far too generic to properly encompass both. I'd recommend breaking down into "Volume" as normally used by comics and "Collected Works Volume" (or Collected Volume) for use with Trades, and other various collected runs.

Another example of how a too generic Volume field can cause problems:
The Sandman series has been collected into so many various reprints and reissues that I can recall at least 3 different Collected Volume 3s off the top of my head as well, but there is not a "Sandman Volume 3" comic run.

Not sure how every one else feels but...
"Volume" to me denotes a separation in a series with same title (say Wonder Woman for example volume 1 would be the long running series from 1940s through 1980s, volume 2 would be the restarted George Perez series from the 80s, don't really follow super-hero comics but wouldn't be surprised if there was a relaunch or two since then but you get the idea)
I think there just needs to be some descriptor that is standardized for this sight even if it gets changed later.
"collected volume" seems ok, or someone else had suggested "book". Would things like the last Charles Burns Sugar Skull series for example then be listed as "issue"
I'd be interested in what people think. I could be very wrong but guess cellularsmoke's interest is very "weekly buyer/current/cutting edge" and I'm more of a crusty"trying to finish a run of Little Lulu" type but think that's what's going to make this sight work is something thateither of us can navigate

Hopefully everyone gets in the habit of adding the ISBN (for trade paperbacks) or UPC+5 (for individual issues). Those codes are a good way of identifying exactly what the book is, even if there's confusion on how to fill out the publishing indicia.

Some UPC trivia...
Here's the UPC for BLACK PANTHER #13 JG JONES RESURRXION VAR
759606084210 01351

759606084210 - This UPC number is unique to this volume of Black Panther, each issue in this volume starts with this prefix.

Now there's some interesting info hidden in the extra 5 digits: 01351

• The first 3 digits indicates that it's issue #013
  • The fourth digit indicates if it's a variant cover. A 1 would be the regular cover, 5 means this is the 5th variant cover.
  • The last digit indicates the printing. 1 = 1st printing

If you get a chance take a look at my adds today, all pre-UPC stuff and see what you think. Agree that for modern (a weird description as UPCs have now been on comics for 30 some odd years) comics UPCs are an essential and helpful addition

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.